Wednesday, March 25, 2009

MSB = M?? Sciences ..

A very straightforward question to anyone who's reading this.

What percentage of the institute's major landmark locations (hostels, messes, facility centers etc.)
is an average insti-resident actually aware of?

Normally I would not have given this issue much thought, since most of the people who I know had explored the place inside out within the first month of their arrival, and the rest knew most of the place before the end of their first semester. However, after this incident that happened yesterday in the mess, I was shocked to hear the things I heard, to put it mildly.

So I was talking to this MA freshie. General stuff, how's life, how're acads going .. the usual blah blah. However, as I casually asked her which hostels her friends are in, the "conversation" somehow turned into somewhat of a ragging session about locations of hostels, much to my delight. And the replies I got delighted me even further.



Here's how the conversation went:


Me: So how many hostels do you know of?

MA Freshie: I think 15, right?

Me: (with a very sweet smile) How many of those can you name?

Freshie: Come on da, I'm almost done with my 1st year, why are you ragging me now?

Me: Aww, come on .. Tell me. I just want to know. (Sweeter smile)

Freshie: Ok .. So there's Tambi and Pamba and Narmad and Godav and blah blah blah (She listed some 13 of them, leaving out Alak And Jam. Fair enough.)

Me: So which ones are the four newly constructed hostels?

Freshie: Uh, let's see .. Those are Tambi, Pamba, Mahanadi and Tapti. (Lol)

Me: Ohkay .. Then which is the hostel in front of Guru?

Freshie: (with a huge confident smile) Narmad.

Me: How about the hostel in front of Himalaya?

Freshie: Uh .. I'm forgetting the name .. Wait, I'll tell you in some time.

Me: Okay .. Then which three are the ones at the end?

Freshie: (again confidently) Ganga, Mandak and Mahanadi. (She didn't realise she'd already located Mahanadi elsewhere.)

Me: (smirking now) Nice .. Where's Alak?

Freshie: Behind Narmad.

Me: Ah. (huge grin here) Nice. How many floors does Tambi have?

Freshie: Come on da, it has four. It's one of those last hostels.

Me: .. (Lovely. What's next?)

Freshie: And then there's Saras too right, in front of Basera, next to the football field.

Me: What's the football field called?

Freshie: Ok, wait a sec. I know it's called something, it's definitely not Sangam, I'm forgetting the name.

Me: ...



My expression? LOL. And it got better ..



Me: Ok .. So pack hostels, how many departments do you know?

Freshie: I know most of them, not all though.

Me: Where's Navarch?

Freshie: It has this big wave tank right, I saw it once, although I don't really remember where it is.

Me: Biotech?

Freshie: Somewhere at the end of the main road.

Me: Chem?

Freshie: Near basky courts. (I figured pointing out the difference between Chemical and Chemistry wasn't really worth it.)

Me: ESB?

Freshie: I know where all of these are da .. Why are you paining me?

Me: Ok, what does CRC stand for?

Freshie: Classroom Complex.

Me: ChLT?

Freshie: Chemical Lecture Theatre. (Lol again.)

Me: CLT?

Freshie: Classroom Lecture Theatre. (Double lol.)

Me: Ok .. MSB? (Warning to Mech junta: BRACE YOURSELF)

Freshie: Mathematical Sciences something na?



Yay .. Whatte freshie!


(continued)

Me: Uh huh ... (Imagine the expression I had.) Okay .. Okay, that's good. HSB?

Freshie: Ob I'd know HSB da, it's the Humanities department.

Me: Ok .. where's HSB?

Freshie: 2nd floor of CLT na ..

Me: And where's MSB?

Freshie: 1st floor of CLT.



That was it. The Lol-Theorem had stretched beyond limits by now. I couldn't take it any more. And thankfully by this time, she had finished her dinner and made some excuse about going to mug. And I went over to some Chem junta and told them this story, from whom I got reactions totally appropriate for Mathematical Sciences Block. Of course, I got some chiding for ragging people like this at this time of the year, but I could sense it wasn't whole-hearted.

Anyway, nice dinnertime entertainment, I gotta admit.

And you might want to rethink the answer to that question after reading this, if you had it all figured out :P

4 comments:

Rohit Kumar Chemudupati said...

Fresh(ie) Lemonade that was! Well, she has been extremely proactive in changing the Insti for the past one year it seems.

Anonymous said...

lol. akshari at her best. ragging poor junis... btw this is nothing. there are second years who dont kno where aero department is!

MaxP said...

Hey common .. on her part its fine .. she's a MA girl Freshie .. Ehr generally not bothering about the hostel zone or the engineering zone stuff is pretty justified :)

Shounak said...

LOLmaxxxx!!!! You just proved a theory that we have been tryin to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that "MA girls are really blonde-level dumb" :-P ..... But at least they are good-lookin :-)))).... Compensating brains with beauty :-)